Background

Sunday, January 30, 2011

We're Engaged!

So I know this a year late, but a year ago today Dan proposed. I never really wrote anything about the day he proposed but since that was the such an important day I don't want to forget anything. (ps this might be kinda long so feel free to skip it)

Last year I had a pretty good idea Dan was going to propose. My sisters were both around and they wouldn't make any plans with me for Saturday night. When I was driving back to my apartment I heard the song on the radio by Black Eyed Peas called I Gotta Feeling. Right then I knew that "tonight's gonna be a good night."

While I was getting ready I couldn't stop singing this song and just plain being excited.

After a long wait he finally picked me up at my apartment. He looked amazing and was even wearing the sweater I gave him for Christmas a few years ago.

I really wanted to get married at Sundance but we knew that wasn't going to work out so I was thrilled when we started driving up Provo Canyon holding hands.

Once we got to Sundance we went to the Tree Room. I had never been there but it is the most romantic little restaurant ever. We couldn't take any pictures up there because my sister had "borrowed" my camera.

We were seated right next to a fireplace at this small table for two. There were candles on the table and the fire smelled delicious.

After an incredible meal of cheese stuffed ravioli (me) and apple caramelized pork (Dan) the waiter asked Dan if he could bring something out. Unbeknownst to me, Dan had called ahead and said that he was proposing that night and asked the waiter to pretend he was going to bring out a ring. He didn't.

Well, I guess we got finished a little bit early because we went on a walk. That was perfectly fine with me because even though it was the middle of winter, Sundance is one of the most beautiful places.

We stopped to warm our hands by a roaring fire. When we walked away, Dan bent down like he was going to propose. And he didn't. Instead he tied his shoe.

So after a fake proposal twice I was wondering if it was really going to happen. Maybe it wasn't the night.

We drove down from Sundance after our walk and headed for his house. Part way there he stopped at a gas station to use the bathroom. I guess he was really calling my sisters (who were decorating) to confirm everything was ready and just needed a couple more minutes so I waited in the car.

On the way to his house he asked what I wanted to do. Was he even going to propose?!

I decided to test him just a little so I suggested we watch a movie at my apartment. He said that Joel had the movie at his house so why don't we just stop there first. Finally, I agreed.

When we got to his house I was just overwhelmed by the smell of roses.



We walked down petal lined stairs and into the office.



As I looked around I saw the room covered in candles with soft music playing. The roses were still overwhelming and so romantic.





Dan walked over to the table and grabbed my hands. He told me how much he loved me and that he couldn't imagine life without me.

He unwrapped a ring box and got down on one knee. Again, he told me how much he loved me and then he asked me to marry him. I said yes and he placed the most beautiful ring on my finger.


We hugged and kissed and we were engaged! Then Dan showed me a movie he had made for me of our dating years. (That's why my sister stole my camera) It must have been hard because we don't tend to take a lot of pictures but it was beautiful.

On our first date we went to Chili's and had the chocolate molten cake for dessert. Dan had picked it up and had it ready for us to indulge on after he had proposed.

We called my parents and announced the wonderful news. Then Dan's family came in and we were able to celebrate with them.


And that's the story of how the love of my life proposed.

1 comment:

  1. Glad I could finally hear the story! What a wonderful night with so many fun surprises!

    ReplyDelete